landlord desparate to keep my deposit  

i have a landlord whom i found out too late from neighbors and previous tenants that he has never in his "land-lording history" given a deposit back. the only guy who did get it back had to sue for it. i cleaned my arse off and my husband took over 80 pics of the process even going as far as taking the fridge and freezer apart and removing every crumb that had fallen between the cracks as well as cleaning in between where the windows slide shut. (just to give you an idea about how O.C. i am about cleanliness) there was 10 acres on the property that my 2 horses used for about a month and a half. he informed me this morning that if i dont remove every horse turd out there i will not see a dime of my deposit. this is the last thing on a list of horrid things he has done to us during our brief tenancy. i have leased other pastures over the years and have never had this happen. i dont think his request holds any water. can anyone tell me if they think otherwise? i have looked up laws in other states which all say if there was no written agreement the tenant is "not allowed to remove or sell the manure" thereby referring to the benefit it would be to the landlord to keep the fertilizer in the pasture. cant find anything for my state and, being from Montana, think it means most of us have the common sense to realize how ridiculous this request would be.

I have never owned horses or had a horse pasture, myself. I'm just wondering if the written lease agreement addressed the issue at all?

it never did. i ended up going to JAG for help as my husband is active military. apparently most farm leases state specifically that once the manure hits the ground it is the property of the landowner and a tenant may not remove it without written permission from the land lord as it is essential to returning nutrients to the soil! i provided over one hundred pics of how well i cleaned and took care of the place as well as a copy of the lease and a JAG officer was in the process of preparing a letter to serve to the land lord. my husband showed up in uniform to return the key and do a walk through and informed the land lord of our intentions should he not intend to provide us with our deposit. apparently the threat of using JAG was enough as the land lord hand delivered our deposit, in full, to my husband at the armory the

Working

Please Login or Register