The Connecticut General Statutes Chapter 830 Section 47a-4 prohibits the use of the following terms to be used in a residential lease agreement:
Limiting Rights and Responsibilities
(a) A rental agreement shall not provide that the tenant:
- (1) Agrees to waive or forfeit rights or remedies under this chapter and sections 47a-21, 47a-23 to 47a-23b, inclusive, 47a-26 to 47a-26g, inclusive, 47a-35 to 47a-35b, inclusive, 47a-41a, 47a-43 and 47a-46, or under any section of the general statutes or any municipal ordinance unless such section or ordinance expressly states that such rights may be waived;
- (2) authorizes the landlord to confess judgment on a claim arising out of the rental agreement;
- (3) agrees to the exculpation or limitation of any liability of the landlord arising under law or to indemnify the landlord for that liability or the costs connected therewith;
- (4) agrees to waive his right to the interest on the security deposit pursuant to section 47a-21;
- (5) agrees to permit the landlord to dispossess him without resort to court order;
- (6) consents to the distraint of his property for rent;
- (7) agrees to pay the landlord’s attorney’s fees in excess of fifteen per cent of any judgment against the tenant in any action in which money damages are awarded;
- (8) agrees to pay a late charge prior to the expiration of the grace period set forth in section 47a-15a or to pay rent in a reduced amount if such rent is paid prior to the expiration of such grace period; or
- (9) agrees to pay a heat or utilities surcharge if heat or utilities is included in the rental agreement.
(b) A provision prohibited by subsection (a) of this section included in a rental agreement is unenforceable.
Requiring Rent for Uninhabitable Property is Prohibited
Sec. 47a-4a. Effect of failure to comply with section 47a-7. A rental agreement shall not permit the receipt of rent for any period during which the landlord has failed to comply with subsection (a) of section 47a-7 (see Connecticut Landlord Must Maintain Habitable Property).
Conn. Gen. Stat. Title 47a Ch 830 Sec 47a-4 and 4a.
Return to Connecticut Landlord-Tenant Laws.