Menu Close

Can You Keep the Same Homeowners Insurance if You Rent Out Your Home?

Landlord insurance is different from homeowners insurance. The difference is primarily based on the amount of time a tenant will be renting the property.

For example: If you decide to move to a new property from your primary residence and then rent it out, you will need to switch to a landlord policy. But if you were to retain your primary residence as a second home (but rent it out once in a while for a week or two at a time), then you may be able to keep your existing homeowners policy. If you end up taking in a tenant full time by renting out a room or guest house, then you would most likely need to have a landlord policy.

Otherwise, if you do not inform your insurance company that the use of the property has changed, future claims may be rejected. So if a tenant decides to intentionally vandalize the dwelling, you could be out of luck under the same homeowners policy since it was intended for a primary residence.

Also see Homeowners Insurance vs Landlord Insurance.