Menu Close

Rental Property Insurance Coverage

Rental property insurance will include two basic types of protection:

Dwelling – This covers where the tenant resides along with any structures that are attached to the dwelling including a garage, screened-in-patio, or deck.

Other Structures – Any building that is not attached to the dwelling, such as a separate garage or utility shed, may be covered.

Types of Claims

Below is a list of the most common types of dwelling protection claims filed by landlords:

  • Fire and Smoke
  • Hail and Wind Storms
  • Water Damage from Plumbing Leaks
  • Falling Trees and Limbs

What if the property is too damaged to be inhabited?

If a tenant is unable to occupy the unit, there is either an add-on or included feature available to most policies to help offset a loss of rental income. See Fair Rental Income Protection.