A tenant who uses drugs or deals drugs can be a significant liability to your investment property, neighboring tenants, and community.
Based on actual law enforcement tips, learn the warning signs of tenant drug dealers, crack houses, and manufacturers (meth labs) occupying your rental property.
Tenants who do drugs and commit crimes can be a nightmare, so learn how to recognize signs of potential illegal behavior.
Here is a list of possible drug dealing (or drug manufacturing) warning signs:
- Frequent visitors at all times of the day or night
- Activity at the house is usually at odd hours or late at night.
- Occupants appear unemployed, yet seem to have plenty of money and pay bills with cash.
- Occupants are unfriendly, appear secretive about activities.
- Occupants watch cars suspiciously when they pass by.
- Occupants display a paranoid or odd behavior.
- Extensive security at the home or signs that indicate “Private Property” or “Beware of Dog”, fences, large shrubs, bushes and trees.
- Windows blackened or curtains always drawn.
- Occupants go outside the house to smoke cigarettes.
- Chemical odors coming from the house, garbage or detached buildings.
- Coffee filters, bed sheets or other material stained from filtering red phosphorus or other chemicals.
- Occupants sets his garbage for pick up in another neighbor’s collection area.
- Evidence of chemical or waste dumping like burn pits or dead spots in the yard.