Learn about the Iowa eviction process and notice requirements.
Iowa Eviction Process
The information contained within is intended for residential landlords in Indiana and does not encompass commercial or agricultural property.
Forcible Entry and Detainer
1. Prepare a notice to quit. Before a formal court filing can occur, a landlord needs to prepare the proper notice to terminate the tenancy:
2. Eviction proceedings are filed online. If the tenant doesn’t comply with the demands as set forth in the notice, the landlord may begin eviction proceedings by filing online:
4. Tenant is served. The landlord must have copies of the court documents served on the tenant by a process server.
5. Eviction Order. The court will schedule a hearing date within 8 days of filing.
6. Sheriff’s Assistance. If the tenant is still living on the premises by the time the court rules in the landlord’s favor, the landlord has the right to ask the sheriff to escort the tenant off the property with an authorization from the the court.
Notice to Quit
There are a few different eviction notices that may be used ito file a forcible entry and unlawful detainer case. Choose the one that best describes your needs.
Nonpayment of Rent
A 3 Day Notice to Pay or Quit demands a tenant to bring the rent current or vacate.
Download this IA 3 Day Notice to Pay or Quit to serve on a tenant who hasn’t paid their rent. This is a single page…
Clear and Present Danger
A 3 Day Notice to Quit is to demand a tenant vacate the premises in 3 days due to their actions which created an unsafe or unhealthy situation.
Download this IA 3 Day Notice to Quit to serve on a tenant who created a clear and present danger. This is a single page…
Violations Other than Nonpayment
A 7 Day Notice to Quit is to demand a tenant correct violations of their tenancy within 7 days or move out.
Most tenant violations in Iowa other than past due rent, may be addresses with this IA 7 Day Notice to Cure Quit. This is a…
Violations Other then Nonpayment
A 30 Day Notice to Quit is not initially for a violation, but for deciding not to renew a monthly rental agreement. It only becomes a part of the eviction process when a tenant refuses to move.
Landlords, this IA 30 Day Notice to Quit to cancels a month-to-month lease in Iowa. A single page PDF document. See the Rental Application with…
More Iowa Eviction Information